[Tango-L] Dance quality in Buenos Aires

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 7 13:53:08 EDT 2006

Thanks, Deby, for confirming my feelings.   I have
been going to BsAs annually ( in June) for 8 years and
staying for a month.  I agree:  one's expectations
rise as one is exposed to better dancers.  Also, I
think the closing of the milongas for nearly a year
affected the habits of the dancers.   I now have to go
to 2 or 3 milongas each afternoon to find the partners
I like.  Instead of staying for 5 hours, the guys all
go home after 2-3 hours.  I suspect their wives found
out their 'afternoon jobs'  disappeared when the
milongas closed.  ;-)

I really look forward to the special weekends here in
the States.  I get, in one weekend, as many quality
dances as I do  in BsAS, and creative ones at that!
Unfortunately, those special weekends are far away and
infrequent.  Denver on Labor Day is the next one for
me.

There are some younger dancers coming up in the
milongas, but they seem to have a predilection for
hustling instead of dancing.  They immediately want to
sell lessons or escort services or get an invitation
to come to the States. This from guys who are mediocre
dancers at best.   And then there is Confiteria Ideal
which charges tourists twice the entrance fee as they
do locals in spite of the fact that almost no one goes
there anymore.

I love the city of BsAS and I relish in the venues and
the music and the cabaceos and the chamuyos of the
tangueros.   Is it worth the expense?  It is getting
harder to decide.

Nancy

<<Rito es la danza en tu vida
     y el tango que tu amas