[Tango-L] Women and Classes

Andy andy.ungureanu at t-online.de
Thu Jul 6 14:39:31 EDT 2006

astrid schrieb:
> And as for that discussion on whether to take classes or not, in my opinion,
> this subject is ridiculous. This is starting to remind me of the fanatic
> milonguero fraction putting everyone else down for being inauthentic, and
> the "salon" dancers" fighting back by saying, milonguero style people can't
> really dance.
> Only the completely ignorant would assume that people take EITHER lessons OR
> go to milongas, that they EITHER learn OR dance. What nonsense.
Nobody said this. The message was :"infinite classes do not necessarily
produce better dancers" and "improvements do not necessarily require
classes". We are not talking about beginners here, we are talking about
people who are beyond the first years when everything related to tango
is great, classes, milongas, festivals, 7 days  /week, who already
learned the fundamentals and all basic elements.
How many teachers tell their students: " I teached you everything  you
need to know. I can continue showing you things, but it's time for you
to use your own brain and make your own way" ?
I know only one.
We have a kind of consumer mentality to buy things for money, pay a
teacher to fix a problem, like going to a garage the fix the car.
Especially when the problem is not very clear, there will be no
satisfaction.
If I have a problem in my job I don't go back to the university after 20
years and ask my professor how to solve it. He teached me how to solve
problems, now it's up to me to do it. I can of course talk with
colleagues about it, or look how the concurrence dealed with it. Only if
I tried and didn't find anything good I may pay a consultant to give me
advice. But at the end it's me to make it.

What I mean is, the key to become better is to use your own brain,
occasionally input by others is not excluded, but not the real solution.

Andy