[Tango-L] Women and Classes

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Wed Jul 5 23:50:19 EDT 2006

I can look at this from two vantage points: First as one who has been
there, and Second, as one who is now teaching. (sort of)

I started tango I think in 99, maybe 98. It was the first dance that did
not come naturally to me. I tried all the local teachers and settled on
a couple of them. I went to milongas and practiced. After about 6 months
I had my first private with Hernan Obispo. He was wonderful. I learned
many new concepts. I started to go to Tango weekends and festivals. I
felt like a part of the movie "They Shoot Horses Don't They" I would
take as many workshops as I could and dance at the milongas. My feet
would be a mess. I was always in blissful pain from a weekend of tango.
Then I met Daniela and Armando. I took all of their workshop classes and
then decided to take a private with Daniela.

After my first private with Daniela, I stopped going to group lessons
and tango festivals. I lived in San Francisco and they were in LA. Twice
a month I would go to LA to have 1 or 2 private lessons with her. I felt
then and I still do, that group lessons do not encourage a dancer to
develop. If anything you pick up more bad habits. A private lesson
focuses on your defects and hopefully a teacher who can correct them and
move you forward as a dancer. I strongly believe that 4 private lessons
with a good teacher is better than 12 group classes. Group classes can
only teach a pattern and a minimal of the basics. The focus has to be on
getting through the class.

I was lucky because when many of the teachers would come to the Bay Area
I would translate for them. In return they would give me a private
lesson. That and my frequent trips to BA really guided my dancing along.
In 2003 Jorge Nassel started to dance with me every time I came to
Buenos Aires, 6 days a week for 2 hours. They were practicas, not
lessons. I am not sure what his motivation was. He was always a
gentleman to me. He never charged me, I paid for the rehearsal space.
Once a friend of mine asked me if she could practice with him. He told
her that she still needed lessons. I only needed to practice.

I asked him about this. He said that you can only learn so much. Then
you need to practice. He said that people take so many workshops and
classes hoping to get better. They take from every teacher hoping to
become a better dancer. In his opinion the only thing that happened was
they became more confused and never became better dancers.

I have been dancing with Roberto for a year and a half now. I started
teaching with him earlier this year. Here is what I have noticed. We
mostly teach private lessons. In the lessons with men, we find that they
generally are serious about improving. Most of them are willing to work
very hard. They take the criticism whether it comes from me or him. They
ask lots of questions. They do not make excuses. Because I learned in
the U.S. I know why our American students do things a certain way. The
men usually do not counter a correction with "Well my teacher in the US
says....or this is how I learned to do it" They accept and move forward.
Most of them improve.

The women students are generally not as easy if they consider themselves
to be good dancers. They do not accept criticism. If you explain to them
why they need to hold themselves differently you get many excuses why
you are not right or why they cannot do it. Several women did not want
any comments from me at all. One woman told Roberto she did not come to
Buenos Aires to take lessons from an American. He was more insulted than
I was. (Personally I thought it was kind of funny) In general we get
more resistance from the women about accepting and moving forward. It is
almost as though most of them want validation.

Our European students vary from the Americans. Americans are crazy about
being perfect and doing it 100% right. Europeans seem more relaxed.
Argentine students come to us because of Roberto's reputation or they
saw us dancing in the milonga. They want to dance his style. They either
stay as students or leave. Rarely are there any comments. Of course this
is just our students. I have nothing else to compare to since this is
the first time I am teaching, and I am in Buenos Aires.

This being said, these are generalizations to be sure. We have had male
students who blame me for their not being able to do the movements
properly, others who insist on showing Roberto how the step should be
done. (He had a whole class once of a male student telling him, well
that is your step, here is mine.) There have been women who were very
serious students and were thrilled to find out the reasons why they were
not able to move as fluidly, and requested I work with them
independently on posture and movement. We had difficult European
students and Americans who were wonderful and Argentines who have been
told no more classes are available.

With regard to the balance of men and women in classes. I think it comes
in cycles, and it also depends on who the teacher is. When I lived in
San Francisco, the classes were heavier with women regardless of the
level. In LA they were heavier with men. Go figure. With some teachers
there would be more men, others more women. This is true here as well. I
have had people tell me that one day a teacher's class drew all 10 women
and 3 men, and on another day 12 men and 4 women.

I think the decision to continue to study is a personal one. Once my
rehab is through I will be studying with someone to correct what Roberto
calls my "little defects." I have not had a structured lesson in over 3
years. I am excited to study to continue to learn how to improve my
dance. No one can ever know it all.
The more I learn, the more I realize I need to learn. Some people
plateau and eventually move forward, others just stay at the same level.

And to Melanie who said "I'll never be the dancer I want to be, but will
continue to try." That is all any of us can do...and you just never
know, you might surprise yourself one day.

I personally agree with Igor who says. " If you are happy with your
dancing, whatever level you are, skip this message. You are doing great!
It is most important - to be happy. More classes will not make you happier"