[Tango-L] Go beyond tango lessons

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Jul 5 19:58:51 EDT 2006

I was thinking should I send this message or not.. Hm...
I do believe in good teachers. Taking classes is very useful, especially for
men.
They should take them 10 times more than women.
Women should, I believe, seek a solution somewhere else.. if they took
enough classes with the right teachers.

If you are happy with your dancing, whatever level you are, skip this
message.
You are doing great!
It is most important - to be happy.
More classes will not make you happier.

If not:
-----------------
"Meanwhile as Andy said, they continue to do every possible class and
teacher in town. Never noticing that this is not the solution to their
problem.."

Yes, more and more tango classes is not a solution to their problems!

For those who feel stuck, it is obvious the need to develop a sense of dance
and train your physical abilities.

I do not remember teaching of a sense of dance in any of tango classes I
have attended besides Miriam Larici and Hugo Patyn.

So, go to a general class ( the harder the better ) of dancing. Not social !
Half-professional or professional. A serious one. When they work hard! Where
you fall from fatigue !
A year there, and tango will be a click of fingers for you.

To develop physical abilities besides obvious and any-age accessible running
( also good for rhythm! ) and push-ups:
Gymnastics, Martial arts ( there is a lot of shit in there too. Choose one
with a lot of physical exercise, one where people move a lot, sweat a lot,
and kick a lot ), Soccer ( this is a good one ! ),
Belly dancing, Flamenco ( you are going to be a king of milonga ! ),...

--------------
Good cloth.
I am surprised how many men still wear rough cotton shirts and pants at
milongas. Do you think girls in stockings and with open back want to be
touched with your workman's robes?

--------------
"Oh, that is not for me" one can say.
Listen, do you want to be a great dancer or not!?

If not, you do not have to go through that to have good time at milongas.
Tango is relaxation and fun and social activity. We all can have good time
together !
I also do believe in opportunities and advantages of simple social dancing.

Igor
PS. Disclaimer. I am not responsible from any results of this advice.
Check with your doctor before taking any classes.
( And it seems to me I know what they are going to say, so the decision of
up to you, as usual. )