[Tango-L] endemic

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 17:50:03 EDT 2006

 chris wrote:

Actually, it is the women who do keep up their tango studies who drag down
the community. Women who are so hung-up on men preferring less-studied
girls that they've not stopped to think what it is about themselves that
has made them into less desirable partners.

Meanwhile as Andy said, they continue to do every possible class and
teacher in town. Never noticing that this is not the solution to their
problem, but the cause.

Tragic.

Chris

This postulate is so counter-intuitive and generalized a remark that it is
not valid--do you really think that people who study more drag a community
down....do you think all people who study more and dance less is attributable to
the fact that they study more and that they probably have a personality problem?
  I find that usually people who are underskilled usually never want to be
judged by those who have more skills and accuse the better dancer of bitterness
or other personality problems because they wish to be acknowledged, through
dancing  more not less, of their ability and skill.  What I have learned is that
people come to tango, any dance form, with lots of different agendas....the
dancers who truly wish to be great are on the same dancefloor with those who
come for social and or ego reasons.   And if the community does not orient
itself to skill but more to social goals,,,,the skills become rather mediocre while
at the same time the social component may be very rewarding...there may be an
inverse relationship here between skillfull and social dancing....should
clubs be rated by these criteria so we know what to expect when we join a club or
go to a milonga? sherrie