[Tango-L] learning and advancing

TimmyTango@aol.com TimmyTango at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 17:24:15 EDT 2006

In Cleveland it seems that the experienced dancers do not want to dance with
the new people and help them advance. It's true dancing with beginners does
keep one from advancing and holds you back.

But we all have to remember when we were beginners. Where would we be if no
one danced with us?

A persons looks doesn't always mean you will be asked to dance. In Ann Arbor
this past weekend I took one of my female students who is very attractive.
Trouble was she sat most of the night. So in Ann Arbor it's better to be an
experienced dancer than a beginner.

Another item I feel keeps people back is instructor who teach a student what
the student wants to learn instead of what the student needs. So many times
I'll get a new student who can do great Gaunchos, or Calgattas, what can't walk
a decent walk, or know where his partners weight is. A good instructor should
teach a student elements of tango in an order that will help them become
better dancers. Walking and musicality go hand in hand should be the first things a
person learns. And nothing else should be taught till they understand this.

Then you have students showing other students dance steps above their heads.
Wanting to help, they only confuse the new person. What do we do with these
people? How do you stop them?

I'll think of other item and get back.
Timmy
Cleveland