[Tango-L] Womens studies

Melanie Eskoff melanieeskoff at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 5 13:16:06 EDT 2006

Joanne,

I started dancing tango in the summer of 99.  I continue to study at every opportunity in workshops and privates.  I will confess, that for the last 2 or 3 years, I've participated in workshops/classes as a leader, because 1) there are usually too many followers and 2) I prefer it to being jerked around the room by the beginner/intermediate guys that seems to fill the workshops, even those marked "advanced" and 3) I enjoy it.

I also find that many followers drop out of instruction after a short time and consequently the level of following is not really very high at classes/workshops.  I wish that more experienced dancers, of both parts, would continue to attend.  It would be so much more interesting.  My partner and I did a workshop recently with Fernanda Ghi & Guillermo Merlo, which I did as a follower, for the first time in ages.  I really enjoyed it, inspite of the level of the guys, mostly because Fernanda takes such an active role in educating the followers.  She is relentless in her expectations for the women and men.

We have a majority of ladies, IMO, in our community that seem stuck at the intermediate/follow OK, but don't dance level.  Many of them have stopped going to classes and simply go to the milongas.  They get dances, just like the guys at that same level get dances.  Why should they bother?  We also have to remember, if this was easy, everyone would do it well.  Many people who love the tango with all their hearts, lack the physical skill to move beyond this level.  Also, like any sport, there has to be an inner drive that propels one to strive for more.

I'll never be the dancer I want to be, but will continue to try.

Melanie