[Tango-L] Transition from Intermediate to Advanced

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Wed Jul 5 12:50:31 EDT 2006

On Jul 5, 2006, at 7:01 AM, astrid wrote:

>> Tom wrote:
>> I've recently noticed in several different venues, that the women
>> have not been living up to the skill level of the men. There may be
>> many explanations, but I think fundamentally, women learn quickly at
>> first, but have a much more difficult path going from Intermediate to
>> Advanced. Men learn slowly and steadily from the very beginning.
>
> I do not agree with Tom, and maybe his community has a very
> different set up
> from ours, too. But Chris is right to the point.

By different venues, let me be more specific: US Festivals, US
Travel, Buenos Aires milongas.

By "Advanced" I mean both technical ability, subtlety and musical
expressiveness. An advanced leader can transform an intermediate
follower. An advanced follower can transform an intermediate leader.

 From Astrid's descriptions, Tokyo sounds like the very different
case. Denver is similar to other mid-sized US cities with 10 years of
tango like Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, and others. (We have 100-120
person milongas twice per week, and another 40-80 two or three
times). Tokyo's huge excess of women and studio-functions (milongas?)
seem quite bizarre.

I agree with Astrid that women can progress rapidly by taking
privates, especially if they have ballet or other training, and that
women are much more likely than men to seek improvement via privates.

I also agree with others that there is a large "complacent-
intermediate" faction everywhere (men & women). And, obviously we
experience lots of beginners and bad dancers.

MORE MEN TRANSITIONING?

My observation and my point here, is that I have the recent
impression of more men transitioning from Intermediate to Advanced,
and I've seen more women sticking at Adv-intermediate than a few
years ago. (Yes, I'm generalizing, and "more" is just my subjective
opinion. I'm talking about the average across a room of dancers, not
the exceptions we can all point to. Take out the pros and the
beginners...)

For example, in Buenos Aires this year I felt there were more good
men than good women. But, in general the level in BA has dropped
dramatically from 10 or 5 years ago, even in the good afternoon
milongas where you do have many excellent dancers.

Second example, in festivals and among foreigners in Buenos Aires you
see intermediate & advanced women traveling to find better men to
dance with (just as Astrid describes), whereas few intermediate men
have similar drive or confidence, so the traveling men tend to be
more advanced.

ENOUGH ABOUT BEGINNER FLAWS.

The discussions on Tango-L frequently seem to bog down discussing
beginner flaws (men pushing; women doing ochos on their own), as if
the biggest problem in tango is that the local teachers aren't having
a lot of success getting people from beginner to intermediate.

The big issues for the Advanced transformation:
  (1) Learning how to learn.
  (2) Pride, dedication, seeking of perfection.
  (3) Talent & technical or athletic ability,.
  (4) Musicality, Inspiration and physical expressiveness.

LEARNING PROCESS

Getting back to the difference in learning process for men and women.

It could be that the difficulties faced by men at the beginning
filters out the less talented or less persistent. It filters in the
kind of men who like the challenges and puzzles of tango, men who
have the ability to learn in a focused way, and men who are more
confident or bold, characteristics important for  advanced dancing.

And conversely, the (comparatively) easy experience women have at the
beginning doesn't prepare them for working harder as tango moves to
the higher level. The experience of having a great leader give a
woman an amazing dance gives her the experience of early success, and
fools her into thinking all she needs to do is work on following well
and have a decent leaders.

Here's my concluding thought.

At first tango learning filters for women with good RECEPTIVE skills
(following), while for men it filters for good ASSERTIVE skills
(leading). In other words, going from beginner to intermediate trains
up or favors learning styles for the women that are insufficient or
even detrimental for going from Intermediate to Advanced.

Because the men are (typically) the leaders, they are always
proposing ideas in the dance. So the learning process of beginning
tango prepares men for the skills they need for the Intermediate to
Advanced transition

I'm going to suggest that women would take a huge step upwards if
they worked at leading.

I would also suggest that men are greatly improved if they work on
the follower's role.

These are not new insights. Daniel Trenner has long advocated this
training method. I have personally experienced it to be beneficial. I
now feel that maybe it is highly useful, if not essential.