[Tango-L] Followers' voices

Kat hellkat_13 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 10:31:47 EDT 2006

It's kind of funny to me how many of these opinions on
how a follower should develop her voice are coming
from men who would like to determine the parameters of
that voice.

I'm not really big on tango theory, because I think
it's all pretty subjective, and dependent on the
moment - who you're dancing with, what you're dancing
to, what you had for breakfast, how your partner
smells, whatever else influences your day.

Personally, the foundation of my voice has come out of
a few things.  The primary influence is considering
the music just as much my partner as the leader.  Next
is irritation, and self preservation.  a lot of my
embellishments came out of either trying to gently
(and sometimes not so gently) remind the leader where
the beat was, or out of trying to maintain my own
balance when being thrown about.  Those habits stuck
and (i'd like to think) are more refined now, but have
paved the way for more experimentation.

I'm fortunate in that I get to dance with some really
great dancers pretty regularly.  When that is the
case, then I am comfortable enough to explore options
with more finesse.  playing with my hips more,
breaking down steps to tiny parts, fancier flourishy
bits, whatever.  I find now that often my voice is
most effective when it is shown in tiny ways that only
we might notice.  But that can only happen when the
dance is more of a conversation than an excercise with
a machine that does rote patterns.  I don't think most
followers have that opportunity very often.

You can still develop a voice without that, but I
think it has very little to do with waiting for
pauses.  It has to do with finding minutia within
every step that you can make your own.  the way you
move your foot, shift your weight, close your legs,
hold your partner's hand, etc.  and all those things
are almost easier to focus on when you're dancing with
someone who's not showing off or trying to make you
work for it.  clearly, that can't happen all the time.
 but it definitely doesn't need to wait for a pause.

just my .02
Kat