[Tango-L] following the follower

TimmyTango@aol.com TimmyTango at aol.com
Mon Jul 3 22:55:37 EDT 2006

jayrabe at hotmail.com writes:

<< Daniel Trenner said in his Portland workshop [perhaps exaggerated for
 impact] that follower's should just dance, and leaders should keep up with
 them. Of course I'm sure he didn't mean that follower's should abandon
 following. My interpretation of his philosophy is that it's identical to
 this thread about the follower finding and expressing her voice. >>

What I've learned over the years is that the leaders follow the follower.

When learning and when I teach the ocho, I teach-
Give the women direction
Let her go.
follow her.
Yes, your step might be a micro second after hers.
To understand what I mean

Try beating her to step first, and you'll find out what I mean
Give her direction
Let her go
Beat her there.
It doesn't work!