[Tango-L] Leading and following - Corte : interconnection

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Mon Jul 3 14:39:52 EDT 2006

Trini wrote

"Some teachers will tell beginners that they must come to their
axis before they take the next step.  They end up doing
this "stop-n-go" tango...."

Igor:

Aha!!!! That is what Corte (or what I call "Paso Cortado") is for !

To allow you going to the next step WITHOUT passing your weight over a foot,
without "pass through their axis" ( which in translation only means a
vertical position with the center of weight over the ball of a foot)

This technique is a cornerstone of many styles of tango.

Igor.
PS.

These techers are right!
Without "stop-n-go" abitilites we have "go-and-forget-about-the-lead" habit.

Not only they have to "come to their axis". They must stop their and wait
for the lead ( or generate one).

Come to think about, in a normal step, any person leaving on earth is
passing his weight over "an axis".
It is the ability not to pass it, or stop there makes tango step different
from any grandma-s steps.