[Tango-L] Leading and following

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 12:35:00 EDT 2006

Chris,

Then, we are actually in agreement.  For me, a dialogue,
the conversation can occur with such speed that it can be
seamless or continuous.  But the “ping-ponging” is still
there, otherwise, one is not responding to the other.
Reflexes can be instantaneous, but there still must be
stimuli first.

It is much like the concept of being on axis.  Some
teachers will tell beginners that they must come to their
axis before they take the next step.  They end up doing
this "stop-n-go" tango.  Eventually, they learn that they
really need to just pass through their axis, which can only
take a split-second.  Split-seconds is all it takes to have
a dialogue in tango.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- "Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:

> Alexis wrote
>
> > "dialogue" is easily misinterpreted as a sequence of
> unilateral
> > (and discrete) communication events.
>
> To clarify, I didn't suggest misinterpretation of the
> word.
>
> What I'm suggesting is misinterpretation is of the
> /dance/. Many teachers
> really do have the "notion that tango is a dialog" in the
> sense of being
> discrete, step-wise. Like a simple step-by-step pattern
> dance. So for them
> the idea that also the lead/follow is a step-wise dialog
> fits right in.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm