[Tango-L] Unintended consequences

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sun Jul 2 10:07:48 EDT 2006

I read some postings about women "refusing" the lead. One poster wrote about continuing to rotate so that the man can't put her into a sandwich. HMMM! I've found that women don't refuse my lead because they can't refuse a poor lead. They might not get it because I had difficulty sending the message. For the sandwich example, I can prevent the woman from over rotating IF my right arm is firmly (not stiffly) wrapped around. If the right hand is loose (which means my frame is loose), she wouldn't know to stop with weight on both feet.

Then there is the issue of interleading. This class has been taught in previous New York Tango Festivals by Virginia Kelly. Depending on a man's security, he might see it as backleading. I see it as part of a dialogue. For example, when I lead a stepover on my right side after a forward ocho to my right, the woman's next step is to step over my right foot with her (inside) left foot. There is no weight on my right foot. One very good and adventurous woman in NYC (Oh, I how miss her!!)  pushes my right foot instead of immediately stepping over it. I don't call it backleading. I call it playing. If I sweep a woman's foot, she can hold my frame firmer than normal and sweep my foot in the reverse direction.

As for the pumping arm, IMHO, that's not style. I think it's bad frame. I see this a lot in ballroom. The man isn't keeping BOTH knees bent. He bends the left one, keeps the right one straight so the frame sags to the left. Then he bends the right knee, straightens the left and the frame sags to the left. The sagging to the left and the right causes the man's left hand to pump the well. I've had women dance that way and it's very uncomfortable because I'm shaken (not stirred) off my axis.

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Going to New York's "Almost" (4 not 5 AM) all night milonga next weekend.Then have to wait for the 7 AM bus. UGH!!
 I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango