[Tango-L] Cotre

Melroy melroyr at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jul 1 01:14:31 EDT 2006

Hi, Just a little note about one explanation of the origin of the Corte.

A few years ago I took a class on the Corte with Eduardo Cappussi and
Mariana Flores.
A few examples were shown, explained and practised (I won't go into that).
First, however, Mariana explained where the corte came from, as explained to
her by a local Buenos Aires Tango historian. Sorry I don't remember his name

She explained that it came from an African street dance in which the people
would move down the street, dancing individually, bouncing about and
throwing their arms out. All of a sudden at a specific point in the music
(or chant or whatever) they would all stop in whatever position they were in
 as if frozen in space. This would only last maybe a beat and then they
would all be off again, dancing down the street.

She then gave us a delightful demonstration, dancing around the room
throwing her arms about and stopping suddenly in various poses and
expressions. She was a lot of fun!

Anyway this brief stop or 'cut' (corte) in the dance has probably always
been in the Tango if you consider the African influences. Especially if you
think of the quick stops in Milonga, Cayengue, or earlier styles. Of course
there are other types of 'cuts' in tango as well, cut ochos for instance.
Or any of the dramatic show Tango stops that suddenly block your line of
dance!
But I think we have other names for that.

As I said this is just one explanation of where the Corte in Tango came from
 and it was a few years ago so I hope my memory is true. I know there are
many of you with much better historical insight into Tango matters, still I
couldn't resist the memory of Mariana 'cutting it up'!

Thanks, Mel.