[Tango-L] tourists, portenos, affordability

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Fri Dec 8 13:15:38 EST 2006

I would like to respond to some of the excellent comments on how tourists
and porteno's spend their disposable income on tango.

Yes, it is true that it must seem to the Argentines that the tango tourists
have unlimited amounts of cash, as they seem to throw it around with
abandon. They take three or four private lessons a week with marginal
teachers, eat out twice a day, buy 5 pairs of shoes, three leather coats,
tip 20%, skip from milonga to milonga and take taxis everywhere.

But for those of us who are committed to returning to BsAs regularly in
order to keep a modicum of authenticity in our local tango communities, that
yearly expenditure for airfare, lodging, lessons and milongas is tough. Add
to that the fact that while I am away I make less income teaching there
compared to back home.

So, when I am there and I am asked to join my group to go out to eat, or to
a show or an event, I am reluctant. I walk, or take the bus, not a taxi. I
stir up a pot of Maggi sopa, and savor the memory of "the best meal of my
life" that I had there last year, because this year I just can't justify it.
Inflation hurts me, too.

But what really upsets me is so many locals in the tango business think they
can charge tourists 2,3,4 times as much. For instance, men who I wouldn't
dance with in the milongas are teaching at a tango house for $50/hour.

Lois
Minneapolis, MN