[Tango-L] Exceptions to the rule

Deby Novitz dnovitz at lavidacondeby.com
Sat Dec 2 16:00:56 EST 2006

I want to comment on something Janis wrote:

**Buenos Aires and categorize themselves as advanced-beginner,
intermediate or even advanced dancers when they have no more than five
years of tango experience.**

In my opinion how many years you have been dancing has absolutely
nothing to do with how well you dance.  There are plenty of people here
in Buenos Aires that have been dancing for 30 years and cannot dance to
save their soul.  They are a disaster on the dance floor.  Just because
someone is old, Argentine, and dances tango, does not make them a good
dancer.  It takes skill.  Something some people never have no matter how
long they dance or no matter how many lessons they take.

I was dancing only 5 years when Roberto decided to mentor me.  He had
been dancing more than 27 years.  When we ended our partnership I had
been dancing 7 years to   30 or so years.  I had been dancing 3 years
when I started dancing with Jorge Nassel. So what does this mean?
Absolutely nothing.  My current partner has been dancing almost 10
years.  He is a beautiful dancer and a great teacher.  He is also a
musician.  Another exception to the rule.

Yes there are people who have been dancing 30 years who are mind
blowing.  But there are also people who have been dancing 5 years who
dance equally as well.