[Tango-L] Community Expansion Brainstorming

Janis Kenyon Jantango at feedback.net.ar
Sat Dec 2 09:22:20 EST 2006

Manuel wrote:
<You are right in much of what you say Neil. Growing a large community of
pseudo-tango might be easier than growing a real tango scene, but much less
satisfying for those who just want to enjoy Argentine tango as it is. Still,
it would be nice to grow larger communities where the traditional tango
would be respected, danced and enjoyed.>

Traditional tango dancing isn't respected today by many Argentine teachers,
so how can foreign countries assume the responsibility?

Ron Weigel wrote:
<A gathering
of 20 highly skilled dancers in even a small club does not have the
energy of a milonga. An empty floor does not build navigational
skills. Add 20 developing dancers and 20 beginners with at least some
basic navigational skills, musicality, and a decent connection
(assumes good teaching of basic skills), and we have some good
ingredients for a milonga.>

I would rather be dancing where there are 20 highly skilled dancers (Lo de
Celia in the afternoon) than on a crowded floor like Nino Bien on a Thursday
night that is 50% or more tourists.  The milongueros make it a milonga, not
the collective energy of the dancers.

Essential ingredients for a milonga begin with a good floor, sound system
and a DJ who knows how to program the right music.  Then add dancers, stir
gently and see how it turns out.

I find it amusing when people write me prior to their visit to Buenos Aires
and categorize themselves as advanced-beginner, intermediate or even
advanced dancers when they have no more than five years of tango experience.
I watched one of these men recently who claimed he was an advanced dancer of
tango.  He couldn't walk.  They are humbled when they take a private with a
milonguero and see how they have a lot more to learn.