[Tango-L] Good Dancing at Milongas in Buenos Aires

Christian Lüthen christian.luethen at gmx.net
Fri Dec 1 13:02:36 EST 2006

On 1 Dec 2006 at 11:34, Ron Weigel wrote:
> There has been a stream on Tango-L lamenting the detioration of
> quality of dancing in BA milongas.

> Nevertheless,
> there have been very few milongas in the US that I've attended where
> the quality of dancing approaches that of even the mediocre BA
> milongas. [...]
> So even the
> mediocre BA milongas are better than almost all of the US milongas in
> quality of dancing.
Just come to Europa! ;-)

> US milongas are typically characterized by poor
> navigation,
Teacher problem!

> bad partner connection
Teacher problem!

> , and musical deafness.
Teacher and DJ problem.

> The best social tango dancing is still in Buenos Aires and this won't change.
No objective reason for that general assumption!

Btw: when international tango travellers are in Bs.As. they are in a
holiday mood ... which impairs their ability of objective perception! Also
they have spent a lot of money and their few vacation days on those
trips: their own ego wants to be confirmed in their earlier decision of
spending time and money! Therefore: even less objective perception!
I know people who extremely love tango and for one or another reason
live in Bs.As. and who are actually hating the milongas down there,
sadly looking back to their milongas and communities back home (all
right: also within here will be a perception/nostalgia error).

But again: come over to europe! (as I will definitely come back to ie.
Portland Oktober Tango Fest for great community and great social
tango dancing!)

Christian