[Tango-L] Mundial de Tango 2006-non US participants

NANCY ningle_2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 19:42:53 EDT 2006

There  might be a few fantasia dancer couples, but my
friends and I are not interested in the least in any
kind of competition.  How do you judge what something
'feels' like?  And then there is the issue of
following the rules.  Most Americans are usually
pretty tough on rules breakers ( think Death Penalty)
and it seems the rules in Argentina are made to be
ignored ( in all areas!).  And who is going to pay the
$3000 entry fee?  Fo that I can spend three months
dancing and living in BsAs.

Nah......if the Argentine judges know before the
competition who is going to win as they did in the
Miami competition a few years ago, then what is the
point?  I am also amazed that anyone would go to stand
in line for tickets at 6:00am when, if you wait until
the winners are chosen, you can see them for the price
of an entrada when they make their victory rounds in
the milongas where they always do a brief exhibition.

Looking forward to watching some amazing dancers in
Denver in a few days......and maybe even dancing!

Nancy

--- astrid <astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp> wrote:

> The reason why so many Japanese are among the
> winners and the finalists:
> Laura and Jose, the owners of the Luna de Tango
> company in Tokyo
> (www.lunadetango.com)  are themselves winners of
> various tango, folklore
> etc. contests in BsAs. If you just look at
> Cristian's resume on the website,
> you find a long list of dance prizes he received in
> Argentina before the age
> of twenty. (he placed 4th last year in the mundial)
> And they are the teachers who trained the mixed
> couples who went to the
> mundial from Tokyo. The female partners are from
> Japan, and are dance
> teachers here with their own schools.
> The other Japanese couples are mostly pro tango
> teachers too. The Tanadas
> met each other in BA, and got married later. Most of
> these couples go every
> year to BA to participate in contests.
> Are there any tango dancers like this in the USA who
> might participate in
> the mundial?
>
> Astrid

<<Rito es la danza en tu vida