[Tango-L] Campeonato Mundial de Baile de Tango -- judging criteria and pre-championships

Janis Kenyon jantango at feedback.net.ar
Tue Aug 22 14:04:58 EDT 2006

Daniel Saindon wrote:

<I suppose there are critirias on the scorecard that are filled
by the judges on each participants. What are these criterias ?
Are the participants aware of what they are supposed to deliver ?
What are these instructions ? Afterward, are they provided with an
evaluation
with points that require improvements ? Is there any teachers who
could prepare these dancers for the competition ? Who are they?>

No participant has ever been allowed to see the judges' scores from these
competitions.  The evaluation criteria is set forth in the entry form--
Salon tango for world competition: maintain the embrace, all movements
within the space allowed by the couple's embrace, musicality, walking style,
movement around the floor; barridas, sacadas close to the floor, enrosques
are allowed; ganchos, leaps, and stage tango are completely excluded; avoid
remaining in the same place for more than two musical measures.  I want to
see how well the judges observe these rules during the semifinals and the
finals.

The teachers to prepare someone for this competition are those who judge it
every year.  Then one will surely have a definite advantage over others.  If
your teacher is judging you, he will be able to influence the other judges
on the panel.  It is common knowledge that the top ten places aren't
determined by points--they are arranged among the judges.

<I am aware our tango community was approached by
some representatives from the Mundial. I would like to know
more about these competition before I make up my mind
on the benefits derived from these competitions. >

It is no surprise to me that Montreal was approached.  You have a strong
dance community of good dancers.  Pre-championships were held in more cities
around the world this year than in past years.  The result is more
participants at the Campeonato Mundial.

As Cherie wrote, it was a fun experience for her.  As far as the benefits of
the competition, I can't think of any other than representing your city in
Buenos Aires.  If you're into competing, then sign up.  I understand that
pre-championship winner get a portion of their expenses paid to the
Campeonato Mundial.