[Tango-L] a little about modern opera music

astrid astrid at ruby.plala.or.jp
Sun Aug 20 14:46:42 EDT 2006

Difference is that in the old days artists had kings who sponsored them, or
churches who bought their paintings...
These days, art is produced with the desire to make money. That is why it is
so difficult to get anything published.
And unfortunately, art, music, dance etc. is now produced for a very wide,
general clientele. And a lot of people are attracted to the flash and trash,
not to the real thing.
Here, any musician or dancer who has been in a movie, performed in Hollywood
etc, sells much more easily than people who really have a message.
The other day one of my dance teachers told me she invites dancers over for
workshops and shows who she does not even like sometimes, and worries she
would not be able to sell who she would really like to have over here,
because people only want to learn from and identify with glitzy dance
teachers up to their early thirties.

Astrid