[Tango-L] Live music

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Aug 17 09:20:00 EDT 2006

Korey Ireland <korey at kodair.com> asked

> Can dancers tolerate tempo changes (like we often find in Pugliese,
> Troilo, Calo)?

What tempo changes in Troilo and Calo? The Troilo and Calo I hear in
milongas don't have tempo changes. Listening through the favourite
albums of each here (Las Estrellas, El Immortal Pacheco) finds no
significant tempo changes. (That's not counting the occasional
non-danceable vocal bit at the end in which the tempo disappears.)

The Troilo dance classics in particular are an archetype of rock-steady.
Without which all their nifty dodging around the beat would make
little sense.

Can you give some examples of tempo changes "often found in Calo and
Troilo"?

Chris