[Tango-L] Live music

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Aug 15 23:44:12 EDT 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 7:50 PM, Keith Elshaw wrote:
> ...Rare indeed is the musician or arranger who can play with that
> inspiration
> and still make it great for DANCING.The subtle distintion is mostly
> lost
> on even the exceptionally brilliant musican. They read music on a
> page.
> They play it with feeling. But that doesn't make it danceable -
> especially
> through a long set.
>
> Even if a modern orchestra (outside Argentina) plays Don Juan and
> other
> standards, most are infected with the musician's perspective - not the
> dancer's. They want to show you how great the music is when played
> as good
> as they can play it. It is an honest wish. If they don't dance,
> they might
> not intuitively know what makes good DANCE music. That's what a
> musician
> does all his life. Play for dancing? Huh. Not many musicians want
> to lower
> themselves. To do so can have a faintly distasteful flavour to many
> musicians. It's not in their history.

I agree a lot with Keith's comments above.

As a festival organizer I feel it is important to offer some variety
during the weekend, and also serve the interests of a variety of
people. This includes live music. Yes, even despite the fact that I
produce festivals oriented to social dancing, which attract a lot of
people who really know tango music and really love the traditional
music of the 1930s & 40s.

The Friday event usually features our local orchestra, Extasis, who
tend to play in a late Pugliese style.

This event is sponsored by a separate milonga organizer key to the
growth of tango in Denver (what kind of a nut would give up a busy
Friday night at her night club for a chance that tango might someday
make money?!). She has made a career of featuring live music and
supporting live musicians. I respect her choice, and agree that it is
important to honor and support our live musicians. If i were running
the milonga, I would have the orchestra play earlier in the evening,
perhaps in a concert setting, then move into their more danceable
sets, before letting a DJ bring us all the way into the night. Also,
things are better when Extasis doubles up their voices to make an
octet with cellos and violins. Everything becomes a lot more full and
powerful.

First, what I notice about most the working orchestras is that their
focus is the Tango music of the 1960s, either Pugliese or Piazzola
dominated. If there is a singer the orientation is the concert tango
of the 1950s &60s., not Maure, Calo or Rufino, etc. That is fine,
that is what they like. I also like late Pugliese, and I like
Piazzola. Frankly, I really dislike the concert singers of the 1950s.

Second, I agree that the modern orchestras feel the need to feature
their musicianship and arranging skills. They don't realize that the
dancers are PART OF THE ORCHESTRA, meaning that the orchestra needs
to leave space inside the music for the dancers. They are usually
quite busy trying to fill every nook and cranny of the music with
hooks and excitement. Maybe that is just a modern sensibility. Older
music was pre TV, pre video games.

It is the same thing in Jazz. After John Coltrane jazz musicians have
to make a career choice whether to be modern or vintage. The swing
revival was pretty cool because it spawned a number of revival bands,
like the Squirrel Nut Zippers or Indigo Swing. They aren't as good as
30s Duke Ellington, but they found the groove that dancers like.
Also, we have a huge, live jazz (and swing) tradition in every high
school in the US. Every college basketball game has a hot swing band
with a trumpeter that can hit the high notes.

I think that even in Argentina, tango is more nostalgic, rather than
living.

i would really like to see more tango orchestras pursuing.a "revival"
sound instead of a modern sound.

Tom Stermitz
http://www.tango.org
2525 Birch St