[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

Christopher L. Everett ceverett at ceverett.com
Tue Aug 15 18:10:52 EDT 2006

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> As has been discussed before, women do need training.  I am
> currently teaching a women's technique class that focuses
> on the quality of movement.  Yesterday, we were working on
> the spinal movement regarding the pivot (which minimizes
> using muscle to pivot) and it opened a lot of eyes.  I
> heard several times from women about how it was something
> they hadn't thought of before.

To this I must relate an episode from my BA experience.

Afteer taking Mimi Santapa's technique class several times
a week for about 4 weeks, I was in a private with Roberto
Dentone when he had occasion to show me what a woman
had to feel during a giro.  He led me through the giro a few
times, and then he exclaimed,that I was a perfect follower
for him, except I was a bit too fat (and of course a guy).

The poiint is that, there is no "women's technique" or "men's
technique", there is only technique.  The history of tango,
especially how men learned during the Golden Age should make
that very clear, yes?

I am pretty much dead set against the false distinction of
gender related technique.  The biomechnics are identical,
and teaching women to move differently from men, means
that someone isn't moving right.

Christopher