[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon Aug 14 23:34:38 EDT 2006

I've read a lot of messages on this topic. A lot of them deal with lessons. Lessons are important. So is practice. But, unless I've missed it, nobody has written about attitude. When I started, I thought I had to be the best dancer or no one would dance with me. I left milongas depressed because I didn't know impressive figures. I started to go into a death spiral with every mistake on the dance floor.

One day I realized I would never be the best dancer and that was OK. That wasn't important. But being the best dancer I could be WAS important. Once I changed my attitude, it was easier to learn to dance. I've been fortunate to sometimes go beyond dancing tango when my partner and I experience tango!!!

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Calling tomorrow for an appointment with an orthopedist to examine my collarbone after a car collision

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango