[Tango-L] How Many Partners Does Enjoyment Make?

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Mon Aug 14 22:55:22 EDT 2006

While we can't control how well our partner enjoys the dance, we definitely can influence it. Do women take their hands off the steering wheel? Do men WAIT for the woman to respond to the lead before moving? I admit that I once had a testosterone based idea of tango. The more complex the figure executed at the speed of light, the better. One day I went to Jiffy Lube to replace the oil in my car. After they drained the oil, they drained of some of my  testosterone. Then I REALLY started to learn what "pleasing your partner" meant. To me, figures are meaningless without connection. Simple things done well to the music can cause immense pleasure. An example is a well timed cross in the ocho cortado at the end of phrase.  Another is leading a leg wrap so it's timed to the last note of a Pugliese tango.

I remember very well a woman at a NY practica several years ago. After dancing with me, she danced with a hotshot who was worlds better than me. (He still is.) She looked fantastic, better than I could ever make her look. When it was over, she told me she hated it because she felt "tested." Another example of the maxim "All that glitters is NOT gold."

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Soaking my sprained ankle in hot water, hoping not to electrocute myself
I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango
  From: ATANGO2 at aol.com
  Subject: [Tango-L] How Many Partners Does Enjoyment Make?

   From a previous posting "The key to tango is to enjoy your  dance."

  How about the "key to tango is how well your partner enjoys the dance" or "your partner enjoys the dance at least as much as you do."

  Polly in Portland
  All Things Argentine Tango