[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 17:33:35 EDT 2006

>From: "Caroline Polack" <runcarolinerun at hotmail.com>

>I'm astounded, so far, there's been several responses to my first post
>today
>- both private and public and seems to me that the general consensus among
>men who responded is that women do not need instructions or training to
>dance the tango! That in fact, the less training, the better.

I'm also astounded that someone would make such patently absurd statement. I
don't know what sort of "tango dance" these men do with all these totally
untrained and uninstructed women do, but from what I know about Argentine
Tango (and practically every other dance I know of), it definitely takes
training and instruction to actually dance. Sure, I've seen the occasional
phenomenal woman who can follow almost perfectly with little tango training.
But they are definitely the very rare exception. And by the way, they are
already astonishingly good salsa dancers in a professional level.... Most
totally untrained and uninstructed women cannot dance tango at all.
Actually, they can hardly take a step to a given lead without tripping, or
losing their already precarious balance. IMHO, the women who learn tango the
fastest are usually good dancers of some other style and they definitely
have lots of natural talent, and even they can use training and instruction.

sincerely,

Manuel