[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

Gibson Batch gibsonbatch at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 14 16:54:53 EDT 2006

Of course men beleive the women should know how to dance tango - let's not
take this too far!

But isn't it fair to say it is far easier for a couple to dance together if
the leader knows what he(she) is doing and the follower is given a simple
set of instructions that she(he) can use?

I was lead through a salsa set last week by a woman who knew far more than
I, and it was fine.

I dance nearly every weekend with someone who has never had a lesson in
tango.  By the end of the song, you would never know it - at least among the
untrained eyes that look on.  Women who can do this are angels - I know how
hard it must be.  And I am thankful that my lead is simple enough and clear
enough that we can enjoy ourselves.

But I have tough times returning to women who 'know tango' after a
beginners' dance.  I am not sure why.

Gibson
Minneapolis