[Tango-L] What Does It Take to Dance Tango?

Andrew RYSER SZYMAÑSKI arrabaltango at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 14 14:30:07 EDT 2006

--- "tangosmith at cox.net" <tangosmith at cox.net> wrote:

> I'm curious, are there a lot of people (outside of
> BsAs) whose only real
> dance experience is tango?

I did Russian Ballet for 6 months when I was 7; that
torture put me off any kind of dancing for the
following 40 years. I came to tango with 2 left feet
some thirteen years ago and am still finding out that
I have a hell of a lot to learn, but I feel no
compulsion to learn any other dance.

> To the instructors out there, how many beginner
> students do you get who are
> new to dancing?  From my limited observation, it
> seems fairly common.
> Sometimes there even seems to be bias against people
> who have experience in
> other dance, particularly ballroom.

I have now been teaching tango for around 9 years and
have found empirically that the most gifted tango
students were those who had no previous dancing
experience, the basic reason being that they bring no
bad habits. The most difficult ones have been ballroom
dancers, with their compulsive hyperlordosis, begging
for a slipped disc. Yes, the best background is to
know how to walk....

Cheers,

Andy.

Andrew W. RYSER SZYMAÑSKI,