[Tango-L] music: live or dead

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 04:50:36 EDT 2006

Hello all,

My email was submitted Friday, and weekends are kinda slow on Tango-L,
so I'm still looking forward to more submissions, and private notes,
etc.

The consensus so far is overwhelmingly in support of my public
statement; we don't want any more undanceable live music.

Of course, there are many definitions, but it seems that most of the
experienced dancers in the US have virtually NEVER experienced live
music they considered really danceable.

OK; look; yes, I've been dancing for six years, and with the right
partner, I can dance to anything. I can interpret damn near anything
into a dance and make it look and feel as though it goes with the music,
with the right partner. But that doesn't mean I enjoy it.

So let's define "danceable". If more than 50% of the dancers on the
floor are actually dancing WITH the music, actually interpreting the
music into a beautiful experience, then it's danceable.......how's that?

In Texas we have Glover Gill, a fantastic musician, composer, and a
great guy. He used to run "Tosca" an orchestra that played beautiful
music, but extremely undanceable. By his own admission, he figured this
out. And now he does "Glovertango"; very hard to get together at one
time, but when he does, it's good, danceable music. I attribute it (and
he probably will also) to his now frequent visits to Buenos Aires, and a
love for the older, more rhythmic styles from the 30s and 40s.

>From a national standpoint, at least those who do festivals, we are
probably most familiar with Extasis in Denver, and Tango Lorca in St
Louis. In my opinion, by the above definition, extreeeeeeemely
undanceable. Yes, I can do it, with the perfect partner, when the moon
is full, and Saturn is alignment with Venus!!!! Generally, no fun, and
pretty yucky (my opinion, Beau!!!!)...(as I said earlier, beautiful
music, and talented players, but music sucks for dancing)

The other nationally known band is Conjunto Berretin. I first heard them
in 2005 in Portland, and was impressed. They played danceable music, and
I was really happy about it. Then I heard them again at Valentango 2006,
and was extremely disappointed; they had gone avant garde. I talked to
Sarah a few hours ago, in Seattle, and she said they were great earlier
tonight; a sentiment that was echoed by a respected tanguero who
generally feels as I do. So I'm sorry I missed it. I would love to be in
Seattle again, dancing.

Mallpasso talked about the scene in San Francisco, and said there are
some good bands there. I've not been, but I'm very suspicious when he
says things like "their music is mostly danceable - I say mostly because
sometimes they enjoy torturing the dancers with changing rhythms which
can drive us crazy."

Igor is with me....(thanks!!!) any orchestra that can't play music
written before 1952 sucks!!!!!

Astrid, I think, sort of agrees...but does not allow for beginners, etc.
She loves dancing to Piazzola, Color Tango, etc, but she's dancing with
men who can do it.

Lois seems to be in total and complete agreement with me, but then urges
people to come to the Minneapolis festival in September where TWO
orchestras are scheduled???? Whattup widdat, Lois???

And Janis comments on the inabilities of many dancers in BsAs to
interpret even great live music like that of Gente De Tango.

So....what is it? Bad bands or bad dancers?

Everything about tango is in the music. The more I dance, the more I
discover that every step, every movement, is about the music. Why do
women love dancing with the milongueros in BsAs? Because they dance
with, and interpret the music, into a dance that becomes magic. A dance
that doesn't translate the music into feeling is nothing.

So for now, give me the DJ's...Robin Thomas, Robert Hauk, Dan Boccia.
Give me D'Arienzo, DiSarli, Calo, Demare, D'Agostino, Canaro, Tanturi,
and around 2 or 3am throw in some later Pugliese and Piazzola. These
guys do a great job of determining what is needed and when. Give me the
stuff played by Daniel Borelli at Lo De Celia, and by Osvaldo Natucci at
El Beso.

So look, you guys, if you wanna play live music for us, learn to play
the music we want. Otherwise, just go ahead and play your undanceable
crap and watch your tango careers wither.

I will no longer support or attend events that promote live music at the
expense of knowledgeable dancers. I urge you to join me in expressing
your feelings to the organizers of these events.

Argentine Tango has arrived in the United States. We have reached the
point where we can call some shots. Look at how many festivals are
scheduled every year. They depend on us; the dancers.

I'm NOT down on live music; I'm down on bad live music.

Best regards,

Michael Figart II
Houston Tx