[Tango-L] music; live or dead

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 12 10:36:21 EDT 2006

Perhaps the solution is to support these smaller groups
that "get it".  Last summer, we invited the tango duo
Folias (Carmen & Andrew from Michigan who are also dancers)
to teach a musicality workshop and play with one of the
local musicians, Jeremy.  The trio (guitar, flute, cello)
played at a milonga and it was great!  Every once in a
while they would check if the dancers were really listening
(doing "silent" beats, for example).  And everyone enjoyed
it.  I don't know if the bands you mentioned play with
dancers in that way.  But without that kind of interaction,
I don't see why musicians should expect dancers to actually
listen to the music.

As several musicians have told me, it is inspiring for them
when they know people are listening to their music and how
they play it.  But if musicians don't get the dancers
involved in the music and the dancers do not get involved
with the music, the level of musicality and dancing
suffers.

Those interested in contacting Folias can email Carmen
Maret at foliasmusic at yahoo.com.

--- Igor Polk <ipolk at virtuar.com> wrote:

> Oh, Michael how right you are !!!
>
> Hey, live musicians ! If we come to your concerts and we
> applause it does
> not mean we really think your are the best !
> ( I am sorry for "we", I usually say "I", but there are
> at least 2 of us :
> Michael and me - we ! )

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm