[Tango-L] Buenos Aires Tango Magazines and Tango Map

Janis Kenyon jantango at feedback.net.ar
Fri Aug 11 22:19:56 EDT 2006

Milongas come and go.  The same goes for free tango magazines in Buenos
Aires.  A high standard was set in 1995 when Tito Palumbo began publishing
B.A. Tango -- Buenos Aires Tango -- Guia Portena, as a service to the tango
community.  It was the first and only source of information on where to go
to dance in Buenos Aires.  In the beginning, Tito published twice a month to
keep up on all that was going on, but he eventually went to a monthly
format.  His Guia Trimestral (quarterly guide) with listings on everything
to do with tango began in 1998.  El Tangauta began publication in 1996.
Five years ago I saw a few copies of El Tango y su Gente.  And this March an
issue of ArgenTango was published, but I haven't seen it again.

Distribution of the new magazine entitled, La Milonga Argentina, began in
March.  The magazine was sold for 3 pesos in the milongas.  After a few
months of low sales, the publisher realized that the magazine has to be
distributed free like all the others or it won't have a readership, and
without a readership, it won't have advertisers.  I obtained a copy of issue
No. 6 today.  It's a bi-lingual publication done in full-color, glossy
layout, with six interesting feature stories.  This magazine has about a 70%
editorial content with 30% advertising as compared to El Tangauta which is
60% advertising.  La Milonga Argentina provides a guide to the milongas
which is not as complete as B.A Tango, but has lots to read on the local
tango scene.
www.lamilongaargentina.com.ar

The other new magazine is DIOSTANGO which premiered in June.  It also has
articles translated for foreign readers.  The pocket-sized format in glossy
layout has a wide range of articles: The magic in the dance with Facundo and
Kely; an interview with Daniel Borelli on how he observes the milongueros
while programming his music; and a tribute to milonguero Ricardo Vidort.
Their translators have done well on the English translations.  El Tangauta
has such poor English translations that I have to read the Spanish to
understand them.   revistadiostango at yahoo.com.ar

Since 2003 Caseron Portena has been publishing a very useful tango map every
season with a complete listing of the milongas which were indicated on the
map for easy orientation.  They had the complete listing of milongas from
Tito Palumbo's copyrighted Guia Trimestral and used it in its entirety
without his permission in a few editions of Tango Map.  Now the tango map
has become primarily a glossy advertising pamphlet for stores with a tango
map included.  It's still a useful item for every tourist to have in hand
along with the magazines.