[Tango-L] Everyone's "one of the most respected and well-knowndancers in Bue

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 3 14:35:49 EDT 2006

Caroline,

Your question is quite good, and very difficult to answer. You've touched on
a pretty good subject here. What I've found out is that some people have
idolized certain teachers (who are extremely good at self promotion and know
how to manipulate peoples weaknesses). These people will always promote
their idol as "the best", "the real thing", etc. Other people have limited
knowledge of the tango itself and merely parrot (or outright copy) the
promotional material given to them by their "maestro/a" du jour. Obviously,
the aforementioned  bona fides are not necessarily true or accurate.

There are other people who take time to travel and take lessons with many
teachers and observe their methods, the material they teach, their skill on
the dance floor, etc. It takes a pretty long time to learn who's truly the
best or among the best. First, the judge himself or herself must have a
pretty good command of the subject and they must be fairly immune to
insincere flattery or emotional manipulation. Some traveling teachers are
quite charismatic and will seduce you to their particular brand of snake oil
very easily. Particularly if you are susceptible to the "shine" of stars.

The tango business is very much a cutthroat business, it's very difficult to
get the "most respected" and "the best" of Buenos Aires to bestow the crown
upon one of them. They have very strong likes and dislikes and almost all of
them thinks that they are the best and the rest are nothing. There is no
accrediting body to certify who's among the best. In this atmosphere, hype
becomes the best selling tool (next to mudslinging the other teacher's
style).

Personally, I think that traveling to Buenos Aires is a good thing for tango
students and teachers. However, frequent trips to BAires do not necessarily
translate into any sort of tango teaching credentials. I've seen many people
who have gone to BAires and returned without apparently learning anything
about the tango music, the dance or the culture of the Argentineans. As far
as I could tell, they might just as well spent a week in Disneyland...

I'm afraid that there is no way to separate the wheat from the chaff, unless
one can trust the organizer or one knows first hand the teacher(s) involved.
Bottom line is: Caveat Emptor....

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com