[Tango-L] More mIlonga at milongas

tl2@chrisjj.com tl2 at chrisjj.com
Sun Apr 30 12:04:22 EDT 2006

Christopher L. Everett wrote:

> It is possible for a follower to be essentially useless as a dance
> partner. ... The worst is when they think they know what they are
> doing. The universal constant with them is that they ... never
> took beginner classes.

In my experience, the universal constant amongst useless partners is that
they /did/ take beginner classes. Most notably the girls crippled by steps
that the've had drilled into them before getting a chance to learn to
follow, or even to experience the feel of a real lead. Yes they 'think they
know what they are doing' - inevitably, given that's what the lesson is
telling them every time they succeed in copying the demonstrated material.

A girl that never took beginner classes exhibits none of these dysfuctions.
She does not interpret two steps on the side to mean she must cross. A
pause does not send her into a loop of auto-ochos. She does not take every
simple squeeze of a foot to be a sandwich that triggers a step-over.

How could she? In learning on the dancefloor, she never encounters these
class fabrications. Even when unfortunate enough to get a leader programmed
full of them. Because just like his teacher he rarely if ever leads them,
and instead (just like his teacher) resorts to verbal instruction. She
learns... but not to do the fake steps. She learns to say "No".

I recall the advice of a great dancer who was also a needs-must teacher:
"Don't take classes. Not even my classes. Classes are for those who cannot
dance."

Chris

http://mail2web.com/ .