[Tango-L] Argentines are really great

Michael Knowles binkster at binkster.net
Sat Apr 29 16:51:35 EDT 2006

> From: Derik Rawson
> The Argentines are really great dancers because they
> start dancing tango when they are 6 years old, and
> they learn it mostly from their close friends.  They
> have their own tango.  Argentines do not look like a
> teacher.  That is bad. They look like themselves. They
> are individuals, not programmed robots.

How long are you going to flog that dead horse, Derik? There are
millions of Argentines including MANY who can't dance a lick. Others who
dance very well didn't start until later than 6. Still others copy their
teacher. Jeez. Where I work the boys in black t-shirts would say you
have a 'chub' for Argentines.

When I was in BsAs last week I saw a lot of dancers at milongas who were
skilled. More were *not* skilled, or were flaunting their skill in an
asocial way such as cutting in and out of dance 'lanes' on the floor and
charging in front of other dancers in order to execute a trick move
{cough cough El Turco cough cough}. Most of the natives I saw who were
not skilled were at some early stage of learning. Others lost (or never
had a) connection to the music and their partner, performing steps
instead of dancing together. Basically, there are as many kinds of
Argentines as you can imagine. Or more.  ;)
--
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
binkster at binkster.net
www.binkster.net