[Tango-L] A criticism of the criticism of "TANGO: The Art History of Love...

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Tue Apr 25 19:50:47 EDT 2006

I read 3/4 of Thompson's book before giving up in frustration. Is he
a journalist, a protagonist or an independent semiotician?

That there is African influence in tango is without question. And,
many of Thompson's photos and documentation are very, very
interesting. But, in the end Thompson overdoes things. He heaps so
much information on us that everything just ends up in a pile.
Inevitably, some of his data is just wrong. If some is wrong, how do
I trust the rest of it?

I finally stopped reading in a section where he conflates musicians
and dancers from the 1910s, 1920s and 1940s in a way that doesn't
make sense (i.e. it was incorrect).

One other example of sloppy journalism: Thompson talks extensively
about Facundo & Kelly without ever mentioning Facundo's N. American
heritage (through his father). Why? Because it would be an
uncomfortable distraction from the African-Argentine-tango line?

And, truly, what does Dizzy Gillespie have to do with Tango. Are we
all groovin' together because we're musicians, because Jazz is
universal or because we're black? Or, possibly that was a time period
when the doors of Argentine nationalism were being opened to N.
American influences after being closed from the 30s to 55. (World
depression; Peronism; militiary coup...)

There was american jazz in Buenos Aires, specifically the New Orleans
traditional sound from the late 20s, but no big band swing. When I
visited in the mid-1990s the milongas would have sets of "jazz", no
sets of swing (lindy), and then sets of Elvis & Chuck Berry.
Following Thompson's stone soup recipe, I guess the Black influence
on Elvis leads somehow to validating African influences on
milongueros of the 1950s...

Huh??? I mean to me that is just false analogy.

Other examples of sloppy historical observations:

Thompson traces african postures used in tango via grainy drawings of
black-argentines. To deconstruct Thompson, how do we separate HIS
interpretation from the ARTIST's caricature and figure out what the
SUBJECTS were really doing.

Early in the book, the Thompson the semiotician traces moorish
influences in tile treatments. That is a example of a symbol that
carries through history, but just because you see diagonal squares in
walls doesn't prove the lineage. A , good researcher would need a
constellation of associated symbols to prove the point.

To be fair, one example that convinces me is the depiction of a
carnival parade, because in that case Thompson identifies a
combination of symbols characteristic of the parade and follows them
through a historical time-line.