[Tang-Residents] Q&A about updated grad housing policies

Dawn Anderson colquitt at mit.edu
Sat Mar 21 18:20:35 EDT 2020

Hello Tang Residents:

As a result of the questions and answers submitted, admin created a list of questions and response to make sure you all understand what is going on. Below is the message that was just sent to Heads of House.

Dawn

?
1. Do we plan to force students out of grad housing in the future?
No. Please know that in this crisis, we have no intention of leaving members of our graduate community and their families struggling with no place to live.

2. What were the goals of the letter and do we have specific numerical targets for the population in MIT grad housing?
The goals were two-fold - to encourage those who have housing alternatives in a less-dense living arrangement to move to those alternatives, and to require all remaining residents to practice stricter social distancing practices.
We do not have a numerical goal for the size of the population in MIT graduate housing.

3. Who gets to decide what is "a reasonable alternative"?
Individual graduate students decide. We did not plan for an exception process, and do not have one in place. Our staff are available to help address financial barriers for those who have reasonable alternatives. They are not being asked to evaluate students' judgment. If you need help thinking this through, please contact prepared at mit.edu<mailto:prepared at mit.edu>.

4. Why is the deadline so short?
Given the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19, we wanted to express the situation's urgency and concentrate the work to be done in a limited period of time. We want students to do their best to complete the form by Sunday, but please know that we will be flexible given that complications may arise.

5. What if I am experiencing financial hardship, can you help?
All graduate students should complete the form embedded in the email from Friday to let us know of their situation. If graduate students are experiencing financial hardship, they should follow the already established urgent grant process and email naomic at mit.edu<mailto:naomic at mit.edu>.

6. I didn't get the email, or my link doesn't work, or I need to update my information.
Please know that only license-holders got the email on Friday. Spouses, partners, and students who already checked out did not receive the email and do not need to complete the form. If the license holder cannot find the email from Friday, have them contact prepared at mit.edu<mailto:prepared at mit.edu> and someone will help them as soon as possible.

I want to assure you that we will make every effort to move into a steady state as we prepare to manage this global pandemic. We understand that this is difficult. So we are trying to provide you and your residents with facts so that you can help them make good decisions for their health and the health of others.

Best,
Cindy, Suzy, and Ian

Dawn Colquitt-Anderson, Head of House, Tang Hall<https://studentlife.mit.edu/housing/graduate-family-housing/graduate-residences/tang-hall>
Massachusetts Institute of Technology