[Sci-tech-public] MIT Seminar on Environmental and Agricultural History, FRIDAY 4-20-2012

Margo Collett mcollett at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 18 12:59:03 EDT 2012

MIT Seminar on Environmental and Agricultural History

“Beyond Yosemite! A Three-part Guide to Reimagining the American Landscape”

Jenny Price

writer, Los Angeles Urban Ranger, and

Research Scholar, UCLA Center for the Study of Women

How are artists reimagining widespread and historically powerful iconic American landscape images? How do they challenge these images to envision nature not as an unpeopled refuge but as places we inhabit? I look at three kinds of art works: paintings and photographs that comment on well-known images; participatory public art events that act out new understandings of landscape; and a project, on the L.A. River (think Grease, Terminator 2), that reimagines a landscape by literally remaking it.

April 20, 2012

2:30 - 4:30 PM

Building E51-095

Corner of Amherst and Wadsworth Streets, Cambridge