[Sci-tech-public] FW: CMS Colloquium tomorrow: MIT Lit's John Picker on "Transatlantic Acousmatics"

David Mindell mindell at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 21 15:51:46 EDT 2009

Email not displaying correctly?
<http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=70543aaa7e732813eb2cf860a&id=8afdcfa36e&
e=14aa69b820> View it in your browser.

<http://mit.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=70543aaa7e732813eb2cf860a&id=d
3e3af9a91&e=14aa69b820> Image removed by sender. Comparative Media Studies
logo

Image removed by sender. Transatlantic Acousmatics image

Dear friends ,

Please join us tomorrow for this week's CMS Colloquium, with John Picker
speaking on "Transatlantic Acousmatics".

When: Tomorrow, Thursday 10/22, 5pm
Where: Building 4, Room 231 (
<http://mit.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=70543aaa7e732813eb2cf860a&id=0
0bc64365f&e=14aa69b820> map)

John Picker is Visiting Associate Professor of Literature at MIT, where he
arrived this fall after several years as Associate Professor of English at
Harvard. He is the author of Victorian Soundscapes and has ongoing interests
in sound studies, media history, and the literature and culture of the
Victorian era.

"Transatlantic Acousmatics"
Picker begins with H.G. Wells's 1897 novel The Invisible Man and goes on to
show how, when one attends to questions of voice and sound technologies in
several different media, the racial and ethnic dimensions that become
audible forge invisible connections among modes of art that we have been
taught to keep distinct. Tracing a transatlantic route from fiction to radio
and sound film back to fiction, this approach offers a new way to
characterize a crucial period of change from the late Victorian to the
modern world.

The CMS Colloquium Series
Provides an intimate and informal exchange between a visiting speaker and
CMS faculty, students, visiting scholars and friends. Each week during the
term, we host a figure from academia, industry, or the art world to speak
about their work and its relation to our studies. These sessions are free,
open to the public, and serve as an excellent introduction to our program.

Next Colloquium
Thursday, October 29
"Cinematic Games" with game designer Richard Rouse. This lecture will
present film clips from a number of classic movies, analyze how they work
from a cinematic standpoint, and then suggest ways these techniques can be
used in gameplay to create even more stimulating experiences for gamers,
including examples from games that have successfully bridged the gap.

About CMS
The Comparative Media Studies program at MIT is committed to the art of
thinking across media forms, theoretical domains, cultural contexts, and
historical periods. Both our graduate and undergraduate programs encourage
the bridging of theory and practice, as much through course work as through
participation in faculty and independent research projects.

Visit us at
<http://mit.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=70543aaa7e732813eb2cf860a&id=5
c2f3d2bc9&e=14aa69b820> cms.mit.edu.

Image removed by sender.No longer wish to receive these emails?