[Sci-tech-public] FW: SECRECY in Cambridge, MA - September 19-25

David Mindell mindell at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 16 14:12:56 EDT 2008

SECRECY

Directed by Robb Moss & Peter Galison

2008, 81 min.

An Argot Pictures release - www.argotpictures.com

http://www.secrecyfilm.com/

"IN THE DARK, YOU CAN GET AS LOST AS THE PEOPLE YOU ARE TRYING TO HIDE
THINGS FROM."

ONE WEEK ONLY

Sept 19-25 2008

The Brattle Theatre

40 Brattle Street

Cambridge, MA 02138

617-876-6837

http://www.brattlefilm.org

Peter Galison & Robb Moss in person, Sept 19 @ 7pm, Sept 20 @ 7:30pm,

Sept 24 @ 7:30pm, Sept 25 @ 8pm

SECRECY, a documentary directed by Harvard Professors Peter Galison and Robb
Moss, is a powerful and provocative new film that examines the complexities
and layers of our government's obsession with secrecy and the effects it has
had on individuals and on our government.  Using original animation, a
powerful score, and expertly edited interviews, Secrecy takes us deep into
the dark shadows of this process, shedding light on the implications of
reasons behind the need to classify a document as secret while asking who
polices the state's ability to do so.

"Equal parts history lesson, meditative essay, didactic poem and call to
arms."

-Nathan Lee, THE NEW YORK TIMES

" Secrecy brings a serious commitment to its content, making it a valuable
challenge to those who wold place total openness above all."

-Joshua Rothkopf, TIME OUT NEW YORK

"The directors mix visual innovation with talking heads on both sides of the
controversy."

- Vince Musetto, NEW YORK POST

"The most important of American Film Festivals opens Thursday night...as
always, the (Sundance) documentary competition offers the most reliably
involving films. The best of these include Secrecy...the question of how
much we should rely on methods inconsistent with our values is intelligently
and elegantly handled."

-Kenneth Turan, THE LOS ANGELES TIMES

"Robb Moss and Peter Galison's impassioned documentary is quiet and discreet
in its examination of how contemporary governmental misprisions and greater
crimes are compulsively papered over, and it's devastating in both its
analysis and in its presentation."

-Ray Pride, NEWCITY CHICAGO

WINNER - BEST DOCUMENTARY - NEWPORT FILM FESTIVAL

WINNER - SPECIAL JURY AWARD FOR DOCUMENTARIES - INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL
BOSTON

OFFICIAL SELECTION - SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL

OFFICIAL SELECTION - TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL

OFFICIAL SELECTION - SXSW FILM FESTIVAL