[Sci-tech-public] MIT 11.481J, 1.284J, ESD.192J ANALYZING AND ACCOUNTING FOR REGIONAL ECONOMIC GROWTH

Karen R. Polenske krp at MIT.EDU
Mon Jan 31 02:27:08 EST 2005

Welcome to the Spring term:

We have updated the readings for this MIT 11.481J, 1.284J, ESD.192J
class.  The full syllabus is now available on stellar.  We provide a brief
description below.  Note that for the fifth problem set, students will take
one region/country in the world, select an issue to examine, and use the
regional economic theories, accounts, and techniques they have learned
during the semester to examine the region in depth.  Ph.D and master's
students, and occasionally an advanced undergraduate or postdoc take the
class.

Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00-10:30 a.m.
First Class:   Tuesday, February 1, 2005
Room:          1-246
Credit Units: 3-0-9 H-LEVEL Grad Credit
Prerequisites: Introductory economics class or permission of professor

                                                              CLASS DESCRIPTION

In this class, we focus on alternative ways in which the issues of growth,
restructuring, innovation, learning, and accounting and measurements can be
examined in industrialized and emerging countries, covering the following.

We survey neoclassical as well as some of the latest theories of regional
growth, factor mobility, clustering, agglomeration and dispersal economies,
industrial and spatial networks, industrial and regional restructuring,
globalization, supply chains, learning regions, and regional centers of
innovation from a political-economy perspective.  For each, we cover the
basic conceptual frameworks, main assumptions, and arguments for and
against the use by scholars and practitioners.  We give special emphasis to
recent transformations in regional economies throughout the world and to
the implications these changes have for the theories and research methods
used in spatial economic analyses.

We examine and evaluate critically the accounting frameworks used to
measure regional economic growth and review multipliers, backward and
forward linkages, supply chains, and other measures.  We discuss how these
concepts can be used to assess employment and environmental impacts and
infrastructure investments, accounting for measurement problems, such as
the underground economy.  We review price indices, employment and
industrial location measures, and shift-share analyses.   Note that we
discuss U.S. and foreign applications of the theories, accounts, and
techniques.

Students are expected to have had a thorough introduction to the relevant
microeconomic, macroeconomic, and political economy theories prior to
taking this class.  Half of the problem sets are short essays or literature
reviews on specific regional theories, and the other half cover important
quantitative techniques used in the regional planning field.

Readings will relate mainly to the United States, but we cover pertinent
material on foreign countries in lectures.  In cases where other classes
are available in our department that cover the material in more depth, such
as project evaluation, benefit-cost analysis, urban economics, and
municipal and public finance, we have either covered the topic only briefly
here or omitted it entirely.  These are important areas of study, and
students interested in specializing in regional and urban economics should
take an entire class in
them.

  Karen R. Polenske

ps  My first office hour (first-come, first-served) will be on Thursday
10:30-12:00 (directly after the class) in my office Building 9, Room
535.  Stop by if you have questions.  I will not be available to discuss
the class in more detail until then.  You are welcome to communicate with
the TA, Xiaodong Wang (xdwang at mit.edu), if you have any prior questions.

Karen R. Polenske
Professor of Regional Political Economy and Planning
Head, International Development and Regional Planning (IDRP) Group
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology           Phone:  617-253-6881
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 9-535     Fax:    617-253-2654
Cambridge, MA. 02139 U.S.A.                     Email:  krp at mit.edu