[Sci-tech-public] Modern Times, Rural Places Seminar 2-18-2005

Margo Collett mcollett at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 10 10:00:12 EST 2005

Modern Times, Rural Places:

Seminar Series at MIT

Lynn Nyhart

Associate Professor of History of Science

  University of Wisconsin

Caring for Nature:  Practical Zoology and Nature Protection in
Nineteenth-Century Germany

In the German-speaking lands of the 1860s and 1870s, a populist form of
natural history arose that focused on living animals.  Closely connected to
the zoo movement, devotees of this form of zoology objected to the museum
study of dead animals for classification, and sought instead to understand
animals as living individuals. In this paper, I examine the practical and
moral issues raised among those who cared for animals, concentrating
especially on the work of Phillip Leopold Martin, the community's leading
spokesman.  I argue that the work of Martin and others in this community
reveals a hitherto-unseen connection between caring for individual captive
animals and nature protection, which in turn represents a particular
response to late nineteenth-century modernity.

Friday, February 18, 2005

2:30 to 4:30 pm

MIT, Building E51 Room 095

Sponsored by MIT's History Faculty and the Program in Science, Technology,
and Society
For more information or to be put on the mailing list, please contact Margo
Collett at <mailto:mcollet at mit.edu>mcollett at mit.edu

For location visit http://whereis.mit.edu/map-jpg