[Sci-tech-public] Fwd: Colloquium "Women and the Future of Physics"

David Kaiser dikaiser at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 25 10:42:17 EDT 2004

Hello, all,

This colloquium might be of interest to many of us...

best,
Dave

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:19:33 -0400
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Gretchen Poehlman <poehlman at MIT.EDU>
Subject: Colloquium "Women and the Future of Physics"

Nuclear and Particle Physics Colloquium
November 1st

On Monday, November 1, Howard Georgi from Harvard University will present a
colloquium on "Women and the Future of Physics", which should be of broad
interest to the Physics Department and the School of Science.  Beyond his
accomplishments in theoretical physics, Howard is unrivaled in his record
as a PhD advisor and mentor to a number of highly successful women in
theoretical particle physics.

Location: 1-190
Time: 4:15pm
Refreshments will be served outside the lecture room at 4pm

HOWARD GEORGI
Harvard University

Women and the Future of Physics

The number of women in physics at all levels is increasing but still small.
Why? Is this good, bad, or merely inevitable? I will describe the evolution
of my own understanding of the issues involved. I will argue that the
dearth of women in physics is a symptom of a deeper problem that we must
solve if physics is to remain a vital flagship science in a changing world.
I will offer some suggestions that I hope will be thought-provoking.

___________________________________
Gretchen Poehlman
Events & Major Projects Assistant
Department of Physics
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room 6-113
Cambridge, MA  02139-4307

(617)253-6259 FAX (617)253-8554
<http://web.mit.edu/physics/>http://web.mit.edu/physics/

David Kaiser		dikaiser at mit.edu
Associate Professor
Program in Science, Technology, & Society
and Lecturer, Department of Physics
Building E51-185
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
77 Massachusetts Avenue