[Save] ESI Seminar - Thursday 4/29

Matthew Gardner gardner at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 26 11:54:20 EDT 2004

Earth System Initiative Seminar

Thursday April 29, 12 Noon, 68-181

Part II of a two lecture series:

"Origin of Life II: The View From Earth"

Dr. Hyman Hartman
Biological Engineering Division, MIT

Starting from a view of the earth from space, we will outline what are the
ingredients for originating and maintaining Life. Our present view of the
primitive earth is that there was no primordial soup at the Origin of Life.
We will then trace out an autotrophic origin of life or a life form that
got its carbon from CO2 and its nitrogen from N2. We will then outline the
origin and evolution of metabolism that implies that there was an inorganic
form of life.   Iron-rich clays dominated this inorganic replicating and
evolving system. This system driven by light fixed carbon dioxide and
nitrogen into what evolved into an RNA-Protein world. The origin of life
thus began with the Clay world.

Lunch will be served

This is the second lecture in a two part series. However you do not need to
have attended the first lecture.

Matthew Gardner, Ph.D.
Program Administrator
Earth System Initiative, 16-177