[Save] Earth Day 2004 Bike Repair Workshop

Molly McGuire mols at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 15 18:33:15 EDT 2004

Dear friends,

  I need some volunteer bike mechanics for Earth Day at MIT next Thursday,
April 29!

  Do something good for Cambridge in the sunny grass of MIT Kresge oval
  on a Thursday afternoon-- you will probably just be staring out of your
  office window anyway. We need lots of volunteers for any available time
  slot between 10 am and 6 pm.

  Both amateur and expert bike mechanics are welcome - this is a chance
  to work on a bunch of bikes together and learn more. A few years ago we
tried
  out a bike-repair workshop at MIT Earth Day and it
  was a big hit. It is a great opportunity both for bike owners to get
their bikes
in working order, and for volunteers to teach/learn a lot.

  The goals of the workshop are to help students (1) fix up their bikes
  (2) get more comfortable interacting with their bikes (3) think about
  bikes as an environmental asset to society. This year I would like to
  try and put an emphasis on working with students on their bikes, so
  that it is as much about learning as doing.

  Simultaneously, SfGS, SAVE and several other
  organizations will be, cooking, giving away bike paraphernalia,
propagandizing, and
  discussing their love of the earth with participants. Even if you're
  not able to help out with the workshop, I hope you'll stop by and see
  what's going on.

  Please email me if you think you can help (with a rough indication of
  what time you can be there).

  Thanks for your help and hope to see you next Thursday!

-Molly