[Save] volunteers and planning needed-- Massachusetts Recycles Day plant handouts

Jessica Lee jalee at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 25 00:02:31 EDT 2003

Hello SAVE members!
It's time once again to begin planning SAVE's annual Free Plant Handout in
honor of Massachusetts Recycles Day. The day is actually the 15th, a
Saturday, so we'll have a booth in Lobby 10 on November 14. Here's how it
works:
We bring houseplants, seeds, small pots, soil, and rooting hormone. For a
passerby who wants a plant, we fill a pot with soil, then plant seeds in
it, or take a cutting from one of the mother plants and stick it in the
pot. It's incredibly easy, and very enjoyable-- it's always amazing how
happy people are to get free plants.

--We will need to go on a shopping trip to purchase soil, pots, and maybe
seeds and another plant or two. Probably the weekend before the 14th;
probably to Mahoney's (on Memorial Dr, about 30 minutes to walk). Please,
if you can, reply to me. It takes lots of hands to carry lots of soil and
bulky pots.

--We need volunteers to man the booth on Friday, November 14 between 10:00
am and 4:00 or 5:00 pm. If you can, please sign up for an hour or a few,
and/or to help with setup or cleanup; if you don't know what you're doing,
never fear-- we'll show you how. Technically, we only need one person at a
time, but it's much more fun if we have a couple people handing out plants,
and sometimes the booth gets so busy that two are actually necessary to
keep up with demand.

I can do setup, cleanup, and an hour or two any time except 12-2. Reply to
me (jalee at mit.edu) to tell me what times you can do; I'll organize a list.

Thanks!
Jessica