[Save] Chocolate, Hot Cocoa and Fair Trade Farmer (Sunday, 7-9pm)

Tam Doan doan at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 23 11:04:18 EDT 2003

      What are the benefits of Fair Trade?
      Who makes most of the chocolate we eat?

      This Sunday, 10/26 from 7-9pm on the 2nd Floor of the Student
Center...

...a chance to make some connections between our world and that of the
farmers and workers who make some of our favorite consumables.

MIT Students for Labor Justice and Global Exchange are bringing Abel
Fernandez, a cocoa farmer from the Dominican Republic, to campus this
Sunday.  He will explain how Fair Trade works, and how increased Fair
Trade sales will help end child labor practices and poverty in farming
communities.  Mr. Fernandez is from Conacado, a 9,000-member co-op that
sells Fair Trade, organic and shade grown cocoa.

We'll also be sampling Fair Trade cocoa and chocolate.