[Save] Alert: Last Ditch Fight: Help stop disastrous Energy Bill...

Michael Charney cambclimact at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 13:20:44 EST 2003

Urgent:  Lobby, then forward to NE & US.

1. Call -  Your Senators NOW - they vote tomorrow (Weds, 11/19)
        Phone #s: http://www.visi.com/juan/congress

2. Straight-out demand that the Senator block the Bush Energy Bill &
support the Filibuster.   That's all.

3. Then beg all friends & family (esp. in RI, ME, NH) to do likewise.

4. Why? For health, clean air & ecosystems, safe energy, climate
stability, renewables, energy efficiency, energy security, and to stop
this secretly hatched, massively corrupt legislation.

See:  Joint Nat'l Enviro Letter;  MOVE On Filibuster; Carl Pope, Sierra
Club; NYT Editorial & Wash Post 11/18. - doc's below.

Thanks - that's the short. Do pick up the phone now, but if you want
more, read on:

Why now:
* The vote on the Bush/Cheney/fossil, agribusiness & nuclear industry's
Energy Bill is 3 pm today 11/18 in House, & Wed 11/19 in Senate.

How now:
* Phone calls & fax are the most effective. Identify yourself as a
constituent. All you need do is state your request: stop the bill,
support the filibuster.

More now:
* Tell family & friends in other states, especially N.E. Republican
Senators,  to do likewise.  College students here in NE from around the
US should be urged to lobby their home state Senators, and forward this
to families, friends...

New England Republican opposition to this bill is particularly critical.
We must do whatever we can to get friends, family, org's in N.E. to
press their Senators hard to support the filibuster against Republican
leadership attempts to shut it off (cloture).

FYI:
League of Conservation Voters: http://www.lcv.org
Sierra Club:  http://www.sierraclub.org/scoop
Conservation Law Fdn:
http://www.clf.org/hot/take_action_fed_energy_bill.htm
PIRG:
http://newenergyfuture.com/newenergy.asp?id=250&id3=energy&id4=pohp

Thank you.

Michael Charney
617-492-6614, CambClimAct at aol.com
Editor, Publisher
NE Climate & Enviro Calendar
http://www.topica.com/lists/CambClimCal
http://www.tufts.edu/tci/Calendar.html

DOCUMENT ENCLOSURES:
Joint Letter from National Enviros
Move On's call to Filibuster
Sierra Club Exec Dir's Statement
NY Times Editorial
Wash Post story
Newday link re: Industry bill.

JOINT LETTER FROM MAJOR ENVIRO'S

FYI

November 17, 2003

Dear Member of Congress:

These and dozens of other news stories from across the country
demonstrate that the energy bill, H.R. 6, released Friday by the
Senate-House conference was written for big energy companies by big
energy companies to benefit big energy companies.  It would do little or
nothing to increase the reliability of the electricity grid or reduce
the consumption of imported oil, and misses the opportunity to add
much-needed jobs to the economy..  Instead, this collection of
subsidies, tax breaks, and loopholes would cost ratepayers and taxpayers
billions of dollars, while threatening their air, drinking water, and
public lands.  We urge you to do everything you can to prevent passage
of this harmful, budget-busting bill, including support of a filibuster.

The Washington Post reported yesterday that the bill includes "new
assistance for the nuclear industry, deep-water oil and gas producers,
and manufacturers of a controversial fuel additive." (November 16, 2003)

The Post also determined that "negotiators sprinkled in dozens of
sweeteners…ranging from nearly $1 billion in shoreline restoration
projects to tax credits for a company that produces fuel by compressing
turkey carcasses." (November 15, 2003)

Meanwhile, the bill would not significantly enhance grid reliability.
The Post found that under the bill the "grid would remain fragmented."
(ibid.)

The New York Times reported that the bill's authors realize they will be
criticized for a bill heavily weighted towards energy producers and away
from the average consumers.  "Knowing they will come under fire for the
wide benefits the measure grants to the energy industry in the form of
tax breaks, research projects, incentives for a new natural gas pipeline
from Alaska and easing of regulatory requirements, Republican authors on
Friday began promoting the capacity of the measure to create" jobs.
(November 15, 2003)

These claims about job creation are little more than feel good spin
designed to cover the bill's raid on the federal treasury.  In fact, an
energy bill that relied on energy efficiency and renewable energy
sources instead of fossil fuels would create four times as many jobs
without adding to the deficit, burdening ratepayers, or poisoning our
air and water.

The secret backroom deals made by conference leaders produced
legislation that is loaded with special interest provisions that were
not in either the Senate or House passed energy bills.  These provisions
include the following give aways.

· Huge (up to $6 billion) tax credits for nuclear power companies, and
$1.1 billion to build a nuclear reactor in Idaho;

· Changes that would allow taxpayers to foot the bill to clean up
leaking underground gasoline storage tanks (LUST) that can contaminate
drinking water.

· Amendments attempting to weaken the Clean Air Act to allow
metropolitan areas such as Dallas-Ft. Worth, Washington, DC and
southwestern Michigan to further delay the clean up of their smoggy
skies more than a dozen years after the Act was passed an action that
will place a significant burden on states and municipalities down-wind
of these urban centers.

· Authorizes Alaska's "Denali Commission" to spend over $1 billion on
hydroelectric and other energy projects on Alaska Federal Lands,
including National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges, "notwithstanding
any other provision of law."

This bill invests billions of hard earned tax payer dollars in the
dirty, costly energy technologies of the 20th century, while ignoring
21st Century solutions that our international trading partners are
vigorously pursuing.

Instead of this bill, America deserves a safe, clean, affordable energy
future. A forward-looking, responsible energy policy includes four basic
principles, all of which can be achieved with technologies available
today:

1. Safeguard America's natural resource heritage by protecting special
places on our western  public lands  and fragile coastal ecosystems.

2. Protect public health and the environment by promoting clean,
renewable energy sources and energy efficiency technologies to reduce
our reliance on polluting fossil fuels and nuclear power.

3. Protect consumers and taxpayers by eliminating subsidies for
polluting industries and strengthening consumer protection laws.

4. Enhance our energy and national security by reducing our dependence
on oil.

The energy bill will accomplish none of these goals; in fact, it will
take us backward. It will make oil and gas development the dominant use
of America's western public lands and severely damage our health, our
environment, and our pocketbooks.

Senator Domenici and Representative Tauzin did their colleagues - and
the nation - a grave disservice by foisting on them this glut of special
deals for special interests.  Congress MUST reject this irresponsible
energy bill that endangers public health and the environment.

Sincerely,

John Adams, President
Natural Resources Defense Council

Carl Pope, Executive Director
Sierra Club

Deb Callahan, President
League of Conservation Voters

Roger T. Rufe, Jr.
President, The Ocean Conservancy

Phil Clapp, President
National Environmental Trust

Peter Schurman, Executive Director
MoveOn.org
Rebecca Wodder, President
American Rivers

Fred Krupp, President
Environmental Defense

William H. Meadows, President
The Wilderness Society

Brent Blackwelder, President
Friends of the Earth

Joan Claybrook, President
Public Citizen

Michael Mariotte, Executive Director
Nuclear Information and Resource Service

Vawter Parker, Executive Director
Earthjustice

Robert K. Musil, PhD, MPH,
CEO and Executive Director