SAP-WUG Digest, Vol 157, Issue 2

Mike Gambier madgambler at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 04:56:24 EDT 2021

Hello fellow Wuggers,

Glad to say that my current gig during the last few years has brought me back full circle to ‘traditional’ Workflow development after some years in the SAP Netweaver Gateway / OData murk and dabbling in the dark arts of SAPUI5.

I’ve even managed to play with some of the ‘newer’ toys (yes I know they came in over a decade ago) like local workflows/events as well as block processing to build in some nice dynamic succession management and ‘in-flight’ diversions. But those are rare highlights to be honest.

These days there’s virtually no interest in learning traditional Workflow skills from the new breed of developers coming through. Indeed, most paths to S/4HANA look likely to kill off any legacy workflow development going forward as it’s seen as an obstacle to a smooth transition. On the plus side, if you can call it that, S/4HANA is such a hard product to sell. SAP will have to crack the whip of obsolescence on R/3 to make them jump I think.

Frankly it seems clear to me that any batch-driven process, like workflow, is doomed in the new world, as even the concept of a batch itself will evaporate. So I do think we’re coding on borrowed time, although that feeling applies to everything ABAP-based these days. I have reconciled myself to being a dinosaur for the tail-end of my career (so long as there’s money to be made!).

I’ve heard about ‘Flexible’ Workflows from a friend who is now an architect on a new project that might want to use it, but it does sound a bit light on content. Who knows? I may yet have a chance to dive in and give it a whirl, but I’m not all that hopeful given the lacklustre feel of things like SAP Hana Studio. Then again I cut my teeth on R/2 and dumb terminals, so even using a mouse can be novel to me from time to time, so what do I know?

Mike GT