Task Classification and Substitution Profiles

Bratzler, Loren Loren.Bratzler at nscorp.com
Tue Feb 24 09:19:01 EST 2015

Thank you everyone for the replies.  Thanks to what Kjetil mentioned about “General” substitution, I now see what is happening.

When our users create a substitution rule through the UWL, the screen initially defaults to the profile “ALL”:

[cid:image001.png at 01D05010.7CDEA810]

The user can use the drop-down to select one of the other profiles if they want to, but it will not allow them to leave the profile blank:

[cid:image002.png at 01D05011.0EB73C20]

The issue occurs when they do choose the “ALL” profile.  The resulting table entry in HRUS_D2 ends up with the profile field being blank:

[cid:image003.png at 01D05011.CAA54800]

This then treats the newly created substitution rule as “General” substitution.

If I use a back-end utility to change the profile field from blank to “ALL”, then the new task classification does get excluded from the substitute’s view.

So does this imply that the default profile of “ALL” that shows up in the Manage Substitution Rules screen is really the “General” profile and not our custom defined profile named “ALL”?  Or is it possible there is some kind of bug in the UWL substitution function that is not passing the “ALL” profile to the backend table?

Loren Bratzler

Norfolk Southern Corporation